Knowledge, Learning & Information

During Sunday evenings discussion group, I was made to consider what it means when we begin to carry a a single narrative. How do we begin to position ourselves in relation to our reading and for my fellow Modules 3's, our research inquiries?

Throughout this MA and now more so than ever, I have learnt just how crucial it is to be open to the unexpected! This journey of embodying all parts of my independent learning and critical thinking has made me think about the lengths I may or may not go, to make space in my own professional practice.

It's an ongoing challenge to push away from hierarchy framework we are all presented with in our professional practices and it takes huge amounts of courage to challenge sourced material critically and to look at the relationship between texts and where we stand. 

Key terms and words that came up were:

Knowledge

Institutions

Power & control

Philosophy of ideas

Challenging assumptions

Shifts in learning

Having typed these out and revisited them now 24 hours later - I can't help but see these as terms that are somewhat reflective of my learning journey thus far.

As I now navigate my way through Module 3, I endeavour to gain knowledge and challenge my single narrative through the experience of the attempt at inquiry. If I can successfully attempt to carry this out, apply reflexivity to my experiences and make analysis of the implications the experience has on myself and on my practice... I'll give myself a big pat on the back and the person next to me a big high five... who wants to be that person?


Comments

  1. Love the last sentence! It put a smile on my face! I'd love to be that person, hahaha! You seem at a really good place to begin your Module 3 work! I wish you the best of luck in this adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Natasha. Like Elly, I'll take your high five. The single narrative is powerful. It provides greater clarity so less confusion. It's easier and doesn't hurt as much.

    Critical thinking is the key. It takes practice, and I'm not close to mastering it as I feel I'm too critical to the point of shying away. To be honest, I think it's subconscious laziness. Power on Lorraine, power on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. POWER ON LORRAINE INDEED! Critical thinking absolutely takes practice, you're right. I think in many ways it's impossible to master - In order to practice balanced thinking, I think we need to exercise mental and emotional moderation, as well as exercise and promote disciplined, effective and efficient thinking... which is often hard in discussion groups when I find myself rambling until I finally find myself where I need to be in terms of a point!

      I'm interested to know why you think it could be subconscious laziness on your part?... You seem to me, to be an incredibly consciously un-lazy human being!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts