Elevator Pitch

Yesterday during dinner, my partner asked me how I was getting on with planning my self-directed inquiry project. My answer to him was fairly long winded, to which he laughed and told me I need to practice an 'Elevator Pitch'. 

I had a 121 with Helen last week, in which I was familiarised a range of qualitative approaches that I could take and on top of this we discussed the implications these could have on my practical-based research. This process helped me to consider the methodological perspectives and ethical considerations that must be at the forefront of my mind when developing my inquiry and beyond this, within my professional practice. 

Having reflected on my AOL's and having discussed with Helen my overall ambition for my project, these have been helpful steps in making the right decisions when it comes to my inquiry proposal. I want to feel fully connected to my methodology and method to my research aims. 

Unfortunately, I'm not able to present you with a 30 second 'Elevator Pitch' about my inquiry just yet! However, I can tell you that in the context of my professional work, I have for some time, in a very broad sense been interested in studying the effects of the body-mind connection and if/how this can positively effect an individuals journey through he rehabilitation process within the realms of dance healthcare.

Hmmm, think I'm getting there?

How about you? Please do share with me... x





Comments

  1. I love the idea of the elevator pitch Natasha. I think if the elevator was going up to floor 350 at an extremely slow speed I might be about somewhere near?

    I feel like the more research I do into the area, the more things spark my interest.

    I can see some similar interests in why we do what we do with us both. The Mind and Body and the joint relationship in healing. Have you looked into Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen? Anything that I read at the moment has her name popping up.

    My idea (at the moment) is.... how we can facilitate the same cathartic feeling that songwriter's express when they've written an album through an improvisational based choreographic workshop. I feel as dancers (and through development, teachers) have an acute awareness of our bodies and movement and how this possibly with the additional use of a given positive affirmation could be used as a form of release.

    I'm not sure if the idea comes across correctly yet, or even what exactly it is that I'm
    trying to find out, but I know the area and hopefully I am heading in the right direction.
    I know when I look at qualitative data, I find it hard to narrow the findings down through the different language that people use when explaining themselves.

    I wondered if that was something you had any experience with? Best wishes, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natasha:)) you are definitely getting somewhere and that is the point, to explore whole possibilities, change the perspective, think, reflect, and go through things as much as you can and go to the depth of the matter:) Few weeks ago I had my little (but still for Mike not very short, in two sentences) introduction about what I am really doing in my research (Module 3 SS) and I tried to be very clear and concise, but still I could see on ppl's faces maybe not clear or just like I was told too ambitious and that my project needs to serve my purpose, etc... I must admit, after that session, I was two days a bit discouraged and lost and tried to pick up what everything left after that Monday introductory fiasco, and I talk ed to myself, that I rather prefer to be a bit ambitious than lost so I reschedule some things, regarding studio inquire and the time of my classes and left the content the same and I can tell you so far after I have done my third phase of research and can according to Laban flow smoothly without interrupting myself and balance between consciousness and impulses and in that way, with that philosophy stimulate also my brave participants to explore as much they can, they want and according to prescribed time. Sometimes I think when you talking among academic world I understand that everything comes to the question, and this is great, but when you come in front of the people, no matter live or zoom, you need to act as a very self-confident, clear and good time manager otherwise, everything can go down, which is not bad also, for making next time things better. So, yes, I think we all need that elevator pitch, we all need balance between our possibilities, clear goals, feedback and to be each time better in that what we are doing:) good luck in your further research:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts