Knowledge, Information & Learning


Sundays MAPP discussion group really made me consider how I see these words in relation to one another and how each of them individually are helping me during my reflecting process. 

I think for me KNOWLEDGE always begins with an exchange - Whether that be through teacher & student, text & eyes, practitioner & client, I could go on! This initial exchange however, is often sparked by our curiosity or our need to refine a personal inquiry or observation. 

When it comes to distinguishing knowledge from mere information I think we have to consider INFORMATION as essentially the data that has been collected to make the knowledge sustainable? (i.e Information is refined data whereas knowledge is useful information). It is the result of a transmissive and transactional model that has been developed in order to prove and provide that 'AHA moment' (as described very nicely by a fellow member in the group)! Information is easily transferable... while to transfer knowledge, we/you/I require LEARNING!

  Which funnily enough leads me nicely onto LEARNING in its own right. Here, we begin to 'connect the  dots' and make connections to previous learnings of knowledge and information. In fact, Tony Bingham & Marcia Conner in their book From The New Social Learning ((Bingham and Conner 2015) state, 'We define learning as the transformative process of taking in information that - when internailized and mixed with what we have experienced - change what we know and builds on what we do. It's based on input, process and reflection. It is what changes us'. 

  Going forwards in order to help support my articulation of my experience as knowledge, I aim to focus on this idea of input, process and reflection when it comes to my professional practice. How have my methodologies developed and how has my practice evolved and been influenced through this continuous cycle of KNOWLEDGE, INFORMATION & LEARNING?



Comments

Popular Posts